Target

October 11th, 2023
Dear Della Jane,


I wish I could show you off. You deserve all the attention. One thing that hurts me the most right now, is knowing that when I walk into Target, people don’t see me as your mom. They just see a 20 year old girl. I hate it. I’m not sure why, but I just want people to know that I am your mother. I want people to know you were here. I want them to know that my heart is forever changed.


God made me giggle last night. He gave me just what I wanted! After attending a grief support group, dad had me stop at Target for some printer paper. I made it all the way to the office supplies section before I looked down at my shirt. I looked down and started laughing. In big purple letters, my name tag read “Mary, Della’s Mom”. I had forgotten to take my name tag off after the support group. I felt you smiling down on me. God knew I needed that moment of joy. 


Daddy and I aren’t able to make memories with you the way we planned. We anticipated you helping us create our life’s story line. Instead, we look for you in the details. And those seemingly simple details mean the world to us. They remind us to approach life with just a bit more wonder and compassion for others. I will never stop looking for you, Della.


We can’t wait to hold you again.

Love,

Mommy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Della's Story

Ornaments